Dark Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies
Don't be fooled by the fact that these brownies contain sweet potatoes - they are as chocolatey, fudgey and decadent as ever! They are completely grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and absolutely delicious. They are also just about as healthy as brownies can get with the added vitamins, antioxidants and fiber from the sweet potatoes, the healthy fats from the almond butter and the lack of refined sugar (only 2 Tbs of maple syrup in the whole batch!). These brownies have been tried and tested by all of my non-paleo sugar-loving friends and they are 100% approved. Give them a try!
PALEO / GLUTEN-FREE / DAIRY-FREE
MAKES: 12 MEDIUM BROWNIES
- 1 cup puréed cooked sweet potatoes (about 1.5 medium sweet potatoes)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs runny natural almond butter, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Coconut oil for greasing baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and steam them until soft. My favorite quick method for doing this is to use an Instant Pot. For this method, pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot and put the peeled sweet potatoes on top of the steamer insert. Close the lid, lock the valve and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When the time is up, manually release the steam. You can also steam the sweet potatoes in a normal steamer on the stovetop for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Purée the cooked sweet potatoes with a stick blender or in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 1/2 cup of the almond butter, vanilla extract and maple syrup with 1 cup of the sweet potato purée.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with coconut oil and pour the batter inside, spreading evenly.
- Add the additional 2 Tbs of almond butter into the mixture in the baking dish and use a spatula to swirl it around.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick into the brownies and pull it out dry.
- Allow to cool and devour!