Crispy Roasted Eggplant
Roasted eggplant is one of my go-to sides to make when I want something tasty but don't feel like putting too much energy into cooking. I was never that much of a fan of eggplant until I discovered roasting it with nutritional yeast. I'm a HUGE fan of nutritional yeast and use it in many of my favorite recipes, including roasted cauliflower and pesto (hemp version and AIP lemon basil version). It gives things a delicious and almost "cheesy" flavor, and when roasted, creates a nice crisp texture. All in all, this roasted eggplant is low in carbohydrates, high in fiber and packed with flavor. Best of all, its easy to make. Give it a try!
PALEO / GLUTEN-FREE / DAIRY-FREE / LOW FODMAP
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 Tbs coconut oil (melted) or avocado oil
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast (I use this brand that is not fortified with synthetic folic acid)
- 2 tsp paprika
- Pink Himalayan salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and dry whole eggplant.
- To cube the eggplant, cut both ends of the eggplant and make thin slices lengthwise. Cut the slices into strips then cut the strips into cubes.
- Transfer the cubes into a large bowl and toss with the melted coconut oil or avocado oil. Add the nutritional yeast, paprika, sea salt and pepper.
- Spread the cubes out on a baking sheet and arrange in a single layer if possible (this makes them more crispy). You can use two baking sheets if necessary.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until crisp, flipping halfway through.
Make it a meal!
Add to a bowl with steamed kale, sautéed ground turkey with italian spices and pesto.
Throw on top of a salad with chicken and top with balsamic or lemon vinaigrette and avocado.
Toss it into zucchini noodle or spaghetti squash pasta with ground beef or turkey and top with sugar-free marinara sauce or pesto.
Throw in a bowl with sautéed cauliflower rice and greens and top with a poached egg and pesto or your favorite sauce.
Simply serve alongside a clean protein and some steamed or sautéed greens for a perfectly balanced meal!