My Favorite Roasted Cauliflower
I am a self-proclaimed cauliflower addict. Some people laugh when I tell them that roasted cauliflower is my favorite food but they haven't tried this cauliflower. It's crispy, savory and just all-around perfect. And it doesn't hurt that it is good for you too! In addition to being loaded with antioxidants, cauliflower is packed with a compound called sulforaphane that helps fight free radicals, promote detoxification and counteract carcinogens. I also use turmeric and nutritional yeast in the seasoning, which add to the health benefits. Curcumin, the active constituent in turmeric, is a potent anti-inflammatory and has even been found to have the ability to "turn-off" inflammatory genes before they express. Nutritional yeast contains an array of B vitamins, protein, fiber, zinc and magnesium, which all work together to keep the immune system in check, stabilize blood sugar, balance hormones and fight inflammation. I'll take a double (or maybe a triple) serving, please!
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 Tbs avocado oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I use this brand that is not fortified with synthetic folic acid)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets, rinse and dry.
- Add the cauliflower to a large bowl and mix with the avocado oil. Add the seasonings and toss to coat.
- Spread the cauliflower in a single layer onto a baking sheet. You can use 2 baking sheets if there is too much to fit in a single layer on one. Preventing the cauliflower from overlapping helps to create the crispy crunch!
- Roast for 25 minutes, flip, then roast for another 25 minutes or until crispy but not over-cooked.
I love serving this cauliflower on top of a warm kale salad with poached eggs and turmeric tahini dressing or alongside pulled barbecue chicken/pork and roasted sweet potatoes. It's also amazing on its own as a mid-day snack. You really can't go wrong with this cauliflower!